Thursday, November 3, 2011

Sweet Potato Pie... The Healthy Kind

Exercise: 5 mile walk/run 14:10 avg pace

I very rarely run/walk because when I'm running as soon as I start walking my legs think they are done and just stop. But I was just feeling it today and I really enjoyed the pace. I guess I need the slower pace because my son refuses to sleep like a normal human being and I am exhausted. But I won't get started on that because it'll get all depressing up in here.

Luckily I surround myself with moms who assure me this ish is normal and Little Man is normal and EVERYTHING is normal and I just need to chill out and have a glass of wine, so I'm having 3 for good measure ;) So today I am thankful for all the moms I surround myself with. xoxo, ladies.

On a lighter note, I made a really yummy sweet potato pie yesterday. It was easy, tasty and pretty darn healthy. If you're looking for a sinful recipe for this sweet treat, Google Paula Deen, I'm sure she has one.

This one is low fat and sweetened primarily with banana. Yum

CRUST
3/4 c ww flour
1/4 c oat bran
1/4 c light margarine (I used Earth Balance Organic)
1/4 c ice water
1/4 t salt

mix flour, bran and salt and cut in the butter. then add in water by the T until you get a sandy texture that barely holds together when pressed. Press into ball, wrap in wax or parchment and refrigerate.

FILLING
2 smaller sweet potatoes peeled, cubed, cooked and cooled ( I boiled mine with a little cinnamon) about 2 1/2 cups
1 very ripe banana
1/3 c brown sugar
1 t vanilla
3/4 c milk substitute ( I used almond but will use coconut next time)
1/2 c egg sub or 2 eggs
1 1/2 t pumpkin pie spice
1/4 t nutmeg
1/4 t ginger
1/4 t salt

Preheat oven to 350. Roll out dough thinly to fit in pie pan. I had some left over and made a few tiny tarts


for lunch. For the filling I just put everything in the blender until smooth and just poured it in the crust


and baked for 40 minutes. Check it at 30 and 35 just in case your oven is different. It's ready when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.


Serve with vanilla Coconut Bliss, yum yum, enjoy!!!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...