Thursday, August 12, 2010

A Tall Drink of Water

So I have to start by telling you that Hunter slept 10 1/2 hours last night. SCORE! Best sleep yet, but I feel like I deserved it because last week he was up twice every night, starving. And because he was so starved I was convinced he was under weight, being starved and I was doing something wrong. I did try introducing rice cereal to see if that would help, nope, just made him puke, A LOT! I'm guessing it was just a growth spurt because this week he was back to sleeping 8 hours with one nightly feeding (or early morning, 4am.)

So Hunter slept from 7:30pm to 6am which is perfection for me, I'm an early riser. I wish he would keep this schedule, but I know just by writing this I'm jinxing myself. So we got up and did all our morning stuff, walked the dogs and were out for our run by 8am. Almost unheard of.

I was just going to do an easy run with some speed intervals. But 1/2 way through I got a call from the pediatrician asking if Hunter could come in to the office in an hour rather than tomorrow. I agreed and my run turned into a tempo run. I ran way faster than I normally do for an extended period of time. It was actually really good for me. But what was better, finding out early if Hunter's growth is normal. Because I've been so stressed out about it.

It is! Hunter's stats are right on track. His weight is in the 50th percentile but his length is in the 75th percentile. He's just tall and thin. I knew he was tall because he is mostly wearing 6 month clothes right now, but only for the length. I had also heard that formula babies are usually chubbier, ranking higher percentage wise in weight, so I look at my skinny kid and think "what's wrong with you, dude?" But we've known since the beginning he's a lazy sucker, and he continues to be.

It feels so good to know Hunter's growing appropriately and behaving exactly as a 3 month old should: giggling, grabbing, gooing and gumming anything that he can get in his mouth.


He also got another round of shots today which I totally forgot was scheduled and gave me one more thing to obsess about. I still hate it. And they made him sick, he got a fever of 100 and has been extra fussy, which he never is. Last time he just slept all day which I much prefer. It's the most heartbreaking thing to know your kid is in pain. And even more heartbreaking when he's crying, screaming, and nothing will console him.

But now it's nap time, and conveniently that falls at the same time as happy hour, because mommy neeeeeeds a drink.

Cheers,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...