Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Apple Tartish Thing

I have a huge blog crush on Orangette. I think the recipes are well thought, the photos are beautiful and the writing is impeccable, I gush. I just happened upon this site a few weeks ago and the blog's been around since 2004... I need to catch up.
While perusing the recipes and past blog posts I found an apple tart-cake recipe that sounded divine and I knew I needed to try it. I emailed the recipe to my boss and she made it yesterday. It was everything you would expect it to be; rich, buttery, sweet, and all around amazing with a slight crunch to the crust. Because I'm trying to make things a bit healthier this month I tried to change things up just a bit. I wanted to keep the integrity of the dish but make it just a bit less buttery.
I pretty much copied the recipe, I hope I'm not crossing the line here. Copyright infringement? Hope Not... But if you clicked the link you saw her recipe, and this is mine:

3/4 c brown sugar
1/4 c Splenda
1/2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c whole wheat flour
1 t baking powder
5 T margarine ( i used smart beat- it was fine)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 /4 c egg substitute
3 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced very thinly

For topping:
2 T brown sugar
1 T Splenda
2 T margarine, melted and cooled slightly
1 t ground cinnamon
1 /4 c egg substitute




I can't believe how well it turned out. I'm not sure of the actual calories, but I know it's about 400 fewer calories in the butter alone. And it tastes great, I put such a negligible amount of the substitute sweetener, you can't taste it.
So if you're like me and care about calories, this may help a little, and you still get the awesome tart. It's worth a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...