Monday, March 23, 2009

Maple Syrup Substitute and Homemade Baking Mix

On any given day that my husband and I get to share a breakfast at home, when he is asked what he wants for breakfast, he almost always replies "waffles."

A few months back I started making my own baking mix and storing it because it's a bit cheaper than store bought and you can add whatever you want. I always use whole wheat flour and oats and add whatever grains I have on hand. Here is my mix recipe, but once you have the general idea you can change things around a bit. I adapted this from a simple pancake recipe.
INGREDIENTS:
4 c flour
3 c whole wheat flour
1 c oatmeal
1/2 T salt
2 T baking powder
1 t baking soda
DIRECTIONS:
I mix it all in a zipper bag or a jar and for every heaping cup of mix I use 1 c skim milk, 1 egg, 1 T extra virgin olive oil and 1/2 t vanilla. For waffles I use egg whites. It's pretty easy and super tasty.

I also labeled this post as having a maple syrup substitute. I came upon this problem yesterday morning when I realized I had run out of maple syrup. I found a recipe for fake maple syrup here that seems pretty good, but of course, I had no maple flavoring. So I just made a sauce and it was fabulous.
INGREDIENTS:
1 c brown sugar
1/2 c water
1 T margarine
1 T whiskey
1/2 t vanilla
DIRECTIONS:
Melt margarine over medium heat
Add brown sugar, stirring to dissolve
Add water, vanilla and whiskey
Lower heat to medium low and cook for 5 minutes

It was a great topping and we didn't miss having maple syrup. It definitely gave breakfast a fun little kick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...