Saturday, March 14, 2009

Splendid Spaghetti Squash

One of my favorite foods is the spaghetti squash. My husband, a squash lover, had never had one until I cooked it for him and he fell head over heels in love with it. Even if you aren't a squash lover the spaghetti squash is a fantastic alternative to spaghetti. It's totally easy to prepare as well.

With a butcher knife, cut it in half lengthwise. Scoop out all the seeds and junk. At this point, you can bake, steam, or microwave. I almost always microwave because I prefer less of a mess. I sprinkle with Italian seasoning and a little garlic. Then in the recess where the seeds were I put about a T of water and I cover each half with plastic wrap. Then I microwave it for about 10 minutes.

Let it stand for about five minutes. With a fork, scrape the inside of the squash and you get all these spaghetti like strings. You can use the squash as the bowl and just pour sauce directly into the squash. I think it gets a little watery that way, so I scoop out the squash strings and serve it in a normal pasta dish.

I normally serve it with chicken parmesan or spicy Italian sausage, but it, again, is another one of those versatile dishes I love so much.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Made this tonight and topped the spaghetti squash with steamed broccoli, sliced cherry tomatoes, and green onions before pouring on the sauce. So delish!!! Techlazy.com Crazyask.com Howmate.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...