Wednesday, May 30, 2012

It Didn't Go Swimmingly

Exercise: 40 mins elliptical, 15 mins strength, 1 mile run, got in my bathing suit but pool was closed. Wah Wah.

I swam again yesterday for the first time since joining the Y. I really enjoy swimming but I need to figure out how I can get in my swim with the pool schedule. The times are a little inconvenient but I'm trying to figure it out. Today was my fault because I misread the calendar, total bummer.

Yesterday I ran 2 1/2 miles on the tm pretty slowly. I've had some nagging hamstring soreness for the past few months. It's nothing terrible but it could be if I don't watch it. I did an 11 mile trail run Saturday on the 1/2 marathon course I'll be running in 10 days. I pushed pretty hard and that may have led to the extra soreness in the hamstring. Anyways, that's why I decided to start swimming again. I plan to keep running a few miles on my run days but hope to get in some swimming to get off my legs a little.

I need to learn more about swimming etiquette as well. Yesterday when I got to the pool only one lane was open due to a class. An older gentleman was already in the lane so I asked if he minded if we split the lane and he kinda ignored me. So I figured it was ok and I jumped in and started to swim. He was kind of all over the place but it was just the two of us so I just steered around him when needed. Then another person came and she asked if we could circle swim. I agreed but I'm not sure if the old man heard or understood because he continued to swim erratically down the middle. I was also the faster of the swimmers, not that I'm speedy or anything, but put me up against some 80 year olds and I look like I'm racing. So I was having to constantly weave in and out. Then another dude wants to come in and I don't think he understood the circle swimming either because he just stayed to one side. I think it took me twice as long as it normally would but I eventually got my 1/2 mile swim in.

What do you do in that situation? I guess just put up or get out, right? Now I know to avoid that time, or any time when only 1 lane is open. Music Man is working at home for the next few weeks so I'm thinking while he's doing some work at night, after Little Man is in bed, I can run to the pool for 45 minutes. The only other time is early in the morning which means we don't eat breakfast together, which is the main meal we get to enjoy as a family. I guess I'll just do that when I have to. I can probably still swim 2-3 times a week. I love it so!

Hope you had a great weekend and a great short week! How is it already Wednesday??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...