Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Butternut Mac n' Cheese Recipe, Sick Boys and Some Fast Miles

Exercise: Yesterday-25 mins run, 25 mins elliptical, 25 mins strength; Today-4 miles with sprint intervals- avg pace- 8:56

This weekend was basically two rest days, and it was awesome. Even though I had another rough night with both my men sick and cranky I woke up yesterday morning refreshed, feeling like I could run a marathon. A marathon wasn't in the cards because sick Little Man joined me, but I did get in a timed mile sandwiched by about 2 easy miles. And the timed mile? 7:38 with the jogger; so happy.

I've been pretty productive the last few days even though I felt like I was doing twice as much on half the sleep. I had been wanting to plan a whole week of meals so I did that Sunday and actually stuck to the plan. We've been having super yummy dinners that Little Man really likes, super awesome because he hasn't been eating much since he's been sick.

Sun- Jambalaya with shrimp, andoiulle and chicken


and banana bread 3 ways for dessert

plain, w/ pecans and choc chips, and with pecans only

Mon- Butternut mac n' cheese



Tues- Roast pork, sweet potatoes and green beans brocollini



Wed- Bbq seitan pizza with gouda and red onions
Thurs: Veggie burgers and oven fries
Fri: Meatloaf and rice pilaf
Sat: Chicken fried tofu and mashed potatoes
Sun: Lasagna or eating out, haven't decided yet

The butternut mac n' cheese was amazing and I highly recommend making it.
I cooked my pasta (whole bag brown rice penne) and separately steamed a TJ's bag of cubed butternut (2 cups?) that I diced in some veggie broth.
1/2 of it got mixed into the pasta and the other 1/2 got pureed with the small bit of veggie broth (1/2 cup?) and a dash of coconut milk until it resembled baby food.
I made a dark roux with 2 T butter and 2T ww flour, added in the puree and about 2 T of  Parmesan and let cook on medium while stirring.
Then I added in 1/2 c of light shredded cheddar slowly and stirred until creamy. I added in another dash of coconut milk, nutmeg, allspice and about 1/4 tsp each of s&p and took off the heat.
I mixed the pasta and butternut with 1/2 c light shredded cheddar then mixed the sauce into it.
I poured everything into a sprayed 8x8 glass dish, topped with another 1/2 c cheddar and baked at 350 for 20 mins covered and 10 mins uncovered.

This was enough for 5 huge adult entree servings (500 cals) or 8 pretty big side dish servings (300 cals). I'm not sure of the other nutritional facts but I think there are 8 grams of protein and 4 grams of fiber per each sinful side dish serving. Pretty nutrient dense for mac n' cheese and even the tiny tot loved it.

Hope you're having a great week and I'll let you know about any other memorable meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...