Tuesday, August 16, 2011

On Demand

Exercise: 3 On Demand Exercise TV sessions

My weekend was awesome so there was really no reason for me to wake up on the wrong side of the bed, but I sure did. Little Man has gotten (back) into the habit of waking up at 5:30am. He normally goes back to sleep until 7 or 7:30, but not today. Ugghhh. So I decided to make the best of the situation by taking him out for a nice, cool, early morning run. Unfortunately all my running clothes were dirty so I tried to make do with some old running capris that are WAY too big. And off we went.

About 5 minutes into my run I had already pulled my underwear out of my butt a billion times. I pulled the drawstrings as tight as I could but the waist band still slipped. I was so uncomfortable there was no way I could push on so I stumbled back home, continuing to retrieve extra fabric from all kinds of recesses.

Things just continued to suck; I was out of cereal, the dishwasher was malfunctioning, and Little Man was in a whiny annoying mood. Now I know I sound like such a complainer, these are quality problems.  But sometimes it just feels like everything is going wrong no matter how insignificant the situation is. That was me today, poor me! Wah.

Not having my exercise planned out drives me nuts. Especially when I plan to get it done early. Another problem is that my elliptical has been broken since last Wednesday, when it was supposed to be repaired and just ended up even more screwed. So I knew I had to get with my activity because my options were limited. I wanted to get as close to my normal work out as possible so about 45-60 minutes of cardio and 15 minutes of strength or weights. I pulled out some of my exercise dvds but while perusing On Demand I realized we had Exercise TV and there were a bunch of workouts to choose from. That's where it gets interesting.

For some reason I chose to start with Hip Hop Body Shop. I definitely got my sweat on but I felt totally uncoordinated. I was constantly 2 steps behind. The teacher kept instructing the viewer to dance sexy and I couldn't have felt less sexy. I then chose Butt Bible which I really disliked. The instructor was rude. She kept dissing Pilates, yoga and a ton of other exercises. But then at the end she had us do pigeon pose, which is yoga! I also think my own squats, sumo squats, regular and reverse lunges and all my other lower body exercises are much more effective. I finished with Cardio Blast which was my personal favorite. It was similar set up to some Jillian Michaels' workouts with the strength cardio circuit. I still think Jillian Michaels' is the best of the 20 minute workouts. Just my personal opinion. Jillian has sessions on there, so I may do that next time.

I think it was good for me to have to switch things up a bit. I get stuck in a rut easily and watching new routines helps me incorporate new moves. It also helps me to appreciate my normal daily work out. I definitely look forward to getting back out for a run or even hopping on my elliptical.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...