Wednesday, September 7, 2011

From Yoga to Flat on My Face

Exercise: 45 mins elliptical

Today was a cross training day and I normally do weights but I was feeling a little tired so I decided to just do some easy yoga. I've been practicing yoga off and on for years but I stick to the basics, never trying the more challenging balance moves. When I started practicing again back in March I decided I really wanted to improve my practice and further my balance and core strength.

In the beginning I started doing a lot of the standing poses like chair and tree and moving on to half moon and warrior 3. A few months back I decided I really wanted to be able to do some of the arm balancing poses. So, pretty much, every day I do my strength training I try to incorporate push-ups, plank, side plank and chaturanga. I'm really trying to develop that arm strength and balance. But all along I've really wanted to be able to do the crane, side crane, peacock and firefly. I have been trying to do crane for awhile and yesterday I held it the longest yet, maybe 3 seconds. But at least I'm getting that balance.

Today I made the mistake of just seeing if I could hold crane longer than yesterday. I got my knees on my triceps and started moving forward, towards the balance. I was there for a second before one of my dogs came to investigate what i was doing with my rear in the air and before I knew it I was going face first into my concrete slab floor. I was convinced I had broken my nose because it felt like someone stabbed me in the face and then my teeth went numb. Sounds bad, but it was fleeting. I'm doing just fine now, not even a bruise.

Next time the dogs stay outside while I practice yoga.

Here are today's meals and a snapshot of my day.

Egg white omelet with spinach, cheese and prosciutto and a slice of sprouted grain toast for breakfast

Little Man playing the organ

Pre workout snack: flour tortilla with black bean dip, low fat mozzarella, tomatoes, spinach and avocado

Post workout snack was a veggie burger on toast with a slice of soy cheese. I was into carbs today

I hosted a seriously fun play date today. The pool turned ball pit was a hit. Best $30 ever! Enjoyed by kids aged 1-4. there were 5 kids in there at 1 point. I highly recommend this for sweltering summer days.

There's something up with my camera so my afternoon snack and dinner aren't documented. Snack was a bit more intricate because of the play date but I didn't eat much. I made guacamole and served hummus with sweet potato chips and crackers and some sliced strawberries on the side. Dinner was weird and kinda ugly anyway, but totally tasty. I had madras lentils and brown rice on a bed of wilted spinach and steamed green beans. All fruit popsicle for dessert.

I also have an update for my 21 day challenge. My #1 objective  is to photograph my meals but I'm adding a 2nd objective: to stop snacking after 7. I think that's when I consume the bulk of my calories, through mindless eating in front of the TV. Now I'm just going to have herbal tea. This will help eliminate those extra calories as well as improve hydration. Success so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...